Spring and fall seeding
Fall Seeding,spring and fall field seed,summer fall seeding
Spring seeding of cool-season grasses is not very successful when compared
to the fall seeding. Anyway at times spring seeding is also unavoidable.
• Seeding must be as early as possible. The seeding equipments will face
difficulties in wet soil. You can also prepare soil and spread out the
seed in February or March, if the weather is dry. Once April begins, the
germination will start.
• Use slit seeder or drill to avoid surface disturbance. It also put off
the competition of the weed seeds which will be turned off to the surface
• Crabgrass competes a lot in the spring seeding, especially in Kentucky
bluegrass. Siduron is the only crabgrass herbicide that can be blended
with the fresh spring seeds. Apply it as a final operation. But if you
choose February or march for seeding, wait till April for the application,
so that the effect would long last into the summer. Shady zone of lawns
does not need any crabgrass eradication.
• Next to 3 to 4 mowing, usually a month after the grass emerges from
the seeds; there is a chance of broadleaved weeds to appear which overpowers
the grass. Take use of herbicide only when the weeds are problematic.
A consequent mowing and the proper starting fertilizer is enough for the
establishment of grass.
• The higher seeding rates usually ensure a good competition with the
annual weedy grasses. Choose perennial ryegrass for its rapid germination
that it stands first in filling out the zone in the first year. Tall fescue
could be the second best choice as it tolerates the stress in fall. Kentucky
blue grass germinates in the spring, in 2 to 4 weeks of time. When it
is a cocktail mixture, the usage of perennial ryegrass should not exceed
It is natural that the fall seedings are very successful as the chances
of crabgrass and summer stress conditions are absent here, unlike spring
seedings. Anyway, some of the winter annual broadleaved weeds growth must
be prevented. Usage of post emergence herbicide after mowing, usually
45 days after germination, reduces the weed problems of fall. Application
must be in the absence of frost.
Renovate the lawn
There are chances of lawns becoming thin and becoming weedy due to poor
management, pests and sever summer stress. Determine the exact cause of
the thinning of the lawn and make your renovation programs according to
General tips in renovation
• Existing vegetation can be removed if necessary.
• After application of herbicide follow the general guidelines.
• The mower must be as low as possible.
• Prepare the surface with the help of power rake, verticutter or coreaerifier.
• Remove thatch and existing debris
• Final pass should be created to open channels for seed collection.
• Two direction applications of seeds are best.
• Incorporate the seeds into the surface.
• Water frequently till it is established.